“Sending files through unsecured connections... CAN HAVE DISASTROUS CONSEQUENCES”
Sending files through Gmail, WhatsApp, Wetransfer is just a small grasp out of the insecure and wrong ways to send sensitive data.
When this information is shared without continuous protection, it could become subject to unintended or illegitimate use the could have significant consequences to your business.
And sharing is necessary during design collaboration, outsourced manufacturing, or other technical business processes, and when done improperly your data could become subject to unintended or illegitimate use that could have significant consequences to your business.
The 5 main problems when sharing CAD data
1. When a file is shared, it is impossible to unshare this data. Even when a partner, employee, or supplier turns out to be a bad fit. There is no way to assure them they will remove your data.
2. Traditional contracts cannot cover all parties, and generally, you do not know how extensive the contracts from the other party with collaborators are, but they will be sharing your files/IP amongst them.
3. Every time a CAD file is shared and stored somewhere, that creates another liability. Since you cannot track these files oversight is gone the moment the data leaves the company.
4. Human Error, sending the file to a competitor instead of a client can have disastrous consequences.
5. Copyright and IP Laws do not provide definitive protection for these assets and patents are not suited for the changing nature of this data.